In November, 1927 a group of believers from Wetaskiwin, New Sweden, and Malmo met together to seriously consider building a church in Wetaskiwin, called, most appropriately, The Wetaskiwin Mission Church (WMC). That became a reality in July, 1929 with the dedication of a new church building.
During the 1950's and 60's Sunday School thrived with attendance averaging 169 in 1961. During this time (1953) the lower auditorium was built to meet the needs of a growing Sunday School. WMC joined the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada in December 1965 after 18 years of independence. That same year, a building, with a seating capacity of approximately 225, was constructed.
In January 1955 Sunday evening services began to be broadcast over CFCW in Camrose. This continued until 1969. Pioneer Girls and Christian Service Brigade were commenced in 1971 and ran for 27 years.
Youth have always been a vital part of WMC. Over the years, both volunteer and paid staff have been involved with extremely encouraging results. Several of our youth have been led by the Lord into full-time Christian service. Many others have come to faith in Christ, matured in their walk with the Lord and entered into numerous vocations.
The church has always promoted a strong missions agenda. People from WMC support several missionaries serving in various parts of the world. In the last several years, missions giving has hovered around $100,000. We continue to encourage our young adults and others to consider full and part-time missions.
In March 2009, WMC relocated to a newly constructed church facility on the east side of Wetaskiwin, at the corner of 56 Ave. and 36 St. It is a multi-purpose building with a seating capacity of 550.
These are indeed exciting times for the WMC! We humbly praise God for His blessings over the years and know we can trust in His faithfulness for the future.